The Best Truck Camping Accessories for Every Adventure
Truck camping is a unique form of camping that combines the best of both worlds. You have the mobility of a truck with the comfort and convenience of a home on wheels. Whether you want to explore remote wilderness areas, pristine beaches, or charming towns, your truck camper will be there every step of the way.
However, you can’t unlock the full potential of truck camping with any old gear. You need the right truck camping accessories. From off-road enthusiasts to weekend warriors and seasoned explorers, outfitting your camper to match your personality and camping style is crucial.
Of course, there are countless options and thousands of suppliers, meaning it can be challenging to weed out the products that are worth your money from the ones that aren’t. Luckily, we’ve done some of the legwork for you!
In this blog post, we’ve curated a list of the best truck camper accessories to take your outdoor experience to new heights. From versatile rooftop tents to campfire-cooking must-haves, we’ve got you covered with our handpicked favorite truck camping accessories tailored specifically for truck campers.
Must-have truck camping accessories
Embarking on a truck camping trip isn’t just about hitting the road and maximizing your time in nature; it’s about enhancing your experience to make it more enjoyable and memorable. That’s why we’ve curated a list of must-have truck camper accessories (categorized by activity) to help you gear up for your next camping adventure.
Whether you’re an avid hiker, a fishing enthusiast, a stargazing aficionado, or simply a lover of the great outdoors, we’ve got you covered. From portable stoves that will help you cook delicious meals on the go to comfortable chairs where you can kick your shoes off and relax, our carefully selected items are designed to cater to your specific interests and passions.
Not only do you have to choose a truck camper, but you also have to know how to set up and break down your truck campsite efficiently. After all, if you can’t quickly set up and dismantle your truck camping setup, you’ll waste valuable time that could be better spent embracing adventures and exploring the outdoors.
Having the right gear not only ensures that you can quickly and safely establish your camp but also makes the process enjoyable and stress-free. Here are some essential tools and items you’ll need to make the setup process a breeze, especially when it comes to truck camping:
- Camper chocks: The last thing you want is for your camper to start rolling away while parked, which is why you need camper chocks. These are generally made of plastic, wood, or steel and can be placed under your camper’s wheels to prevent any unintended movement.
- An awning and stakes: If you’re planning on bringing an awning, a plastic tarp, poles, bungee cords, and some stakes can do the trick. However, investing in an awning may be worthwhile if you have some money to spare.
- A tent: If you don’t have a camper or pop-up trailer and want to make the most of your truck bed, you might want to pack a truck tent or a roof rack tent. You can also bring a ground tent and add a tarp. No matter which option you choose, make sure it’s appropriate for the weather.
Cooking at your campsite can be tricky if you don’t have the right gear. Even if you’re not after a gourmet meal and only plan on cooking simple dishes, you’ll need to bring the right equipment, such as:
- A camping stove: You won’t always have a firepit nearby when truck camping, so you need to invest in a portable camping stove. This will allow you to cook your favorite dishes, no matter where you end up. The Camp Chef Mountain Series, the Coleman Dual Burner Propane Stove, and the Jetboil Genesis Camp Stove are all excellent options. Also, don’t forget to bring enough gas if your camp stove uses it.
- Utensils: Utensils are an often overlooked yet essential component of any camping kitchen setup. While the prospect of dining with your hands might seem adventurous at first, having a proper set of utensils can greatly enhance your camping experience.
- Water bottles: Bottles for drinking water, such as Nalgene and HydroFlask, are essential for camping as they provide a reliable and eco-friendly way to stay hydrated, reducing the need for single-use plastic bottles.
- An insulated bowl: Remember that food will cool down fast outside. An insulated bowl can make all the difference in keeping your food hot, especially if it’s particularly chilly out.
- Food storage solutions: If you want to preserve the safety and quality of your food (and keep the animals and bugs away), you need to use food storage solutions. Additionally, food containers can ensure that your perishable items stay cool and your dry goods remain protected from moisture.
- A cooler: Coolers can keep your food and beverages at a safe and enjoyable temperature, preventing spoilage. Plus, since many coolers are designed with handles and/or wheels, transporting them during your camping trip will be easy. Hard-sided coolers, such as those from YETI, are great, as are collapsible soft-sided options.
- Pots and pans: Selecting durable pots and pans is crucial when preparing for camping adventures. These cooking tools serve as the backbone of your camp kitchen, enabling you to prepare a variety of meals while enduring the rigors of outdoor cooking.
- Pot holders or oven mitts: It’s easy to forget the importance of pot holders or oven mitts when planning your camping kitchen gear, but they are indispensable tools for ensuring your safety and comfort while cooking on the road.
- A coffee maker and grinder: If you can’t go without your caffeine fix, you definitely don’t want to forget a good coffee maker and grinder. There are various coffee maker options suitable for camping, ranging from compact, lightweight pour-over coffee makers to portable French presses. Choose one that fits your preferences and available space.
Customizing and decorating your truck camper setup can truly transform your camping experience. It’s an opportunity to infuse your personality into your campsite, making it uniquely yours. Beyond aesthetics, your truck camper interior accessories can offer several benefits, such as creating a welcoming atmosphere for guests, making your space a cozy and relaxing place, and even fostering connections with fellow campers you meet along the way. Here are some creative truck camper interior decorating ideas for personalizing and sprucing up your truck camper site:
- Lighting options: String lights add a warm and inviting ambiance to your campsite. They’re perfect for evening gatherings and illuminating your outdoor living space. You might also consider bringing LED lanterns that you can move more easily throughout your trip and packing a solar camping lantern just in case.
- An outdoor rug: An outdoor rug not only defines your camping area but also provides an easy to clean, comfortable surface for sitting or standing. It’s both functional and decorative.
- Comfortable chairs: Invest in comfortable camp chairs with ergonomic designs. They not only offer relaxation but also make your campsite more inviting for socializing. The REI Co-op Wonderland Chair is a stylish yet sturdy option made of steel tubing and recycled polyester with a convenient bottle holder.
- A camp table: Whether you plan on eating, playing cards, or just gathering with friends, you’ll want to pack a table — and the ALPS Mountaineering Regular Dining Table is an excellent option. If you’re looking for a table with storage, consider the Camp Chef Sherpa Camp Table & Organizer. For a light option, check out the 1 lb, 8 oz Helinox Table One.
Maintaining good hygiene while camping goes beyond being comfortable. Prioritizing hygiene when camping will allow you to fully embrace the beauty of nature while staying safe and considerate of both yourself, the wilderness around you, and your fellow campers.
- Water purification: First, you’ll need a robust water purification solution, as waterborne illnesses can put a real damper on your camping experience. Steripen® UV water purifiers can destroy viruses, bacteria, and protozoa in under a minute, but there are many other water purification options available.
- Camp shower: It’s also a good idea to pack a portable camp shower if you’re headed somewhere you won’t have access to running water. For just $16.99, you can have a warm shower when camping thanks to Coleman’s 5-gallon Solar Shower. You can also buy a pop-up shower tent for privacy.
- Toiletries: When it comes to using the restroom, you’ll want to pack essential hygiene supplies such as biodegradable toilet paper, a portable camp toilet or trowel for digging cat holes, and hand sanitizer. Properly disposing of your waste is both the clean and polite thing to do. Plus, it’s an essential part of adhering to Leave No Trace principles.
Your sleep is incredibly valuable. Getting a good night's rest not only enhances your decision-making abilities but also reduces the likelihood of making mistakes. Moreover, it significantly lowers the risk of accidents and allows you to fully savor your time in nature. Therefore, it's essential to prioritize your sleep and invest in high-quality gear to ensure you enjoy the best possible sleep during your outdoor adventures.
- A sleeping bag: The Coleman Brazos is a top pick for truck camping, but there are a plethora of options out there. Do your research and find the one that suits your specific needs and preferences. A good sleeping bag is your key to a comfortable night's sleep in the great outdoors, so consider factors such as temperature rating, insulation type, size, and weight.
- A sleeping pad: For additional comfort, see Teton’s comfortable yet portable high-quality sleeping pads.
- A mattress: For those who want an extra layer of comfort and support during their truck camping adventures, an air mattress can be a game-changer. While sleeping directly on the truck bed or ground might be fine for some, even a quality foam mattress can elevate your camping experience to the next level.
- A pillow: Also, don’t underestimate the difference a good pillow can make! A comfortable camping pillow can greatly improve your sleep quality, and compressible pillows pack small to save space in your truck camping gear.
Being prepared for emergencies or unexpected situations is crucial when truck camping, as you can find yourself in remote locations with limited access to help. Not only does preparedness offer peace of mind, but it can also potentially save your life. Here are some essential pickup truck camping accessories to keep on hand:
- Jumper cables: Jumper cables can be a lifesaver if you encounter any battery problems. Without them, you might be stranded or stuck waiting until someone comes by to help.
- A fire extinguisher: Fires can quickly grow out of control, which is why you need a fire extinguisher to protect you, your fellow campers, and the environment.
- A first aid kit: Having a kit containing essential medical supplies for treating minor injuries and illnesses can make a major difference. You’ll be able to treat cuts, scrapes, headaches, bites, and more while on the go — and a robust first aid kit (combined with treatment knowledge) will allow you to address injuries before seeking professional medical assistance.
- An atlas or map: Atlases may seem like a relic of the past, but phone service isn’t guaranteed when you’re on the road camping. So, make sure to take a hard copy of the area you’re exploring.
- A power bank: Your phone’s battery will only last for so long. That’s why packing a fully charged portable power bank is an excellent idea. Consider investing in a solar-powered option to ensure you have power when you can’t access your truck.
Find your perfect adventure habitat with TAXA
Customizing your truck camper is the key to transforming it into a personalized and comfortable home-away-from-home for your camping adventures. From setting up your campsite to adding decorative touches, the right truck bed camping accessories, truck camper parts, and interior decorating ideas can truly make your camping experience your own.
If you’re looking for innovative camping solutions that cater to your unique needs, TAXA has you covered. We offer a wide range of trailers, gear, and accessories — and we’re thrilled to share that there are exciting developments on the horizon, designed to enhance your outdoor adventures even further. Stay tuned for our upcoming news and announcements as we continue to push the boundaries of adventure habitat design.In the meantime, if you’re in need of a smaller trailer, be sure to check out Woolly Bear or TigerMoth. Not only are they lightweight but they're also packed with thoughtful features to make your camping experience truly exceptional. Whether you're an experienced adventurer or just starting your journey into the world of truck camping, TAXA's innovative solutions are designed to meet your needs.