DO YOU INSULATE THE TANK AS AN OPTION?
– TAXA does not insulate the tank. We recommend heat pads. Here is an option that has worked well for other owners.
IS THERE ANY DIFFERENCE IN EASE OF WINTERIZATION BETWEEN OVERLAND AND NON-OVERLAND EDITIONS?
– There is not! When it comes to winterizing, these models are identical.
DO WE NEED TO PUT ANTIFREEZE IN THE SYSTEM AFTER BLOWING OUT WITH AN AIR COMPRESSOR?
– Yes, non-toxic antifreeze can be incorporated. On 2021 models (with a VIN of 4T9AC1511MH049100 on Cricket & 4T9AM1818MH049331 on Mantis) with the bypass valve to keep the antifreeze out of the water heater. If your habitat does not have the bypass valve, then no antifreeze should be used.
WHAT IF I CAN’T STORE MY CRICKET INDOORS DURING THE SNOWY WINTER?
– You will need to cover the habitat, including the tires to protect it from the elements. The amount of snow on the top of the covered habitat should be actively monitored.
MY CRICKET DOESN’T HAVE A BYPASS FOR ANTIFREEZE, WHERE SHOULD THIS BE INSTALLED?
– Models previous to 2021 do not include the bypass for the Truma system. Once the tanks are drained, be sure to blow out the water lines with air.
DO THE WATER LINES NEED TO BE BLOWN OUT OR JUST DRAINED?
– The water lines will need to be blown out if no bypass for the Truma water heater is present. If the bypass is present, then non-toxic antifreeze can be added to the lines to prevent freezing.
BEST TIPS FOR WINTERIZING A MANTIS THAT IS KEPT AT A STORAGE FACILITY?
– If stored at a climate-controlled facility, the habitat should simply be cleaned. If stored at a non-climate controlled facility, the full winterization process will need to be executed according to our instructions.
HOW WOULD YOU RECOMMEND DEALING WITH INDOOR HUMIDITY WHEN IT’S TOO COLD TO OPEN THE ROOF?
– Damprid works great to absorb the moisture in the Habitat. If there is frozen moisture causing the roof not to open, you will need to turn the heater up to unthaw the ice allowing the roof to open.
CAN I RENT A HABITAT FOR THE WINTER?
– We suggest checking Outdoorsy.com to see if there is one near you to rent.
HOW DO I MAINTAIN MY BATTERIES WHILE MY HABITAT IS IN STORAGE?
– Your battery should be removed and maintained during the off-season. Here is a great video on battery care and maintenance.