TAXA Outdoors Forums Give Us Feedback After a year with my Tiger Moth

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Eagle05 4 days, 14 hours ago.

• Author
    Alan Caywood
    Participant

After a year with my Tiger Moth I only have three complaints and tons of compliments.

The ugly first…

Minor – The welds on the trailer frame look horrible. Long term I’m somewhat concerned about them holding up, short term they are just ugly.

Minor – The front storage area on the month is just too small to do anything besides carry an EZ up or some lawn chairs. At least make it large enough to carry a cooler. The toolbox would need to be moved or removed in order to accomplish this, but it would be well worth it.

Major – The cushions are horribly uncomfortable. I have even purchased a memory foam mattress topper which takes up a ton of space in the moth and makes sleeping just barely comfortable. Some denser or thicker foam would go a long way to making the a night in the moth comfortable. I’m about to spend around $1,000 having some new cushions made at a local upholstery shop.

Now the good!

I get constantly approached at campsites or the gas station while towing the moth by people asking what it is. They are blown away by the design and functionality of the Tiger Moth. After a year of ownership we have towed it a few thousand miles without problem. For the most part the build quality is second to none. I have made some mild modifications to our Moth and in doing so have come to appreciate the effort and craftsmanship that went into putting it together.

Thank you for a year of great memories, I’m looking forward to our next outing in the Moth.

Eagle05
    Participant

After a week with ours I have some ups and downs as well. The big elephant in the room is the leaking roof. Waiting to here back on the way forward with that one.
    Thanks for the write up. As this forum grows it will be interesting to see what opinions and experiences owners have.

I absolutely agree the nose box needs to be moved forward. Electric brakes are a necessity in my book too. After having a Max Coupler hitch and longer tongue on my last trailer (one that actually allows me to open my tailgate when connected), it’s tough to say I enjoy towing this. Once the roof gets repaired, I’ll be looking to other projects. That said, we had it ten minutes and were bombarded with curious lookers in the REI parking lot.

Jeffery Hammonds
    Participant

Regarding the cushions, which I’m assuming are the same as in the Cricket (that’s what we have), I find them to be perfect. I sleep wonderfully and, unlike at home, I don’t wake up with hip or back aches. As a result, we are in the process of purchasing a firm mattress for home. Everyone is different in this regard, so for me they are a major plus.

MarkusLH
    Keymaster

Thank you for the very sincere feedback, we truly appreciate it and will certainly keep it in mind as we go forward.

Alan: We are working on getting more options in terms of cushions, our goal is to have several options in the next models, as Jeffery said people have different needs. If you are worried about the welds I suggest you send an email with some pictures to service@taxaoutdoors.com so we can have a look at them, we don’t want anyone to feel unsafe when using our products.

Eagle05: Very sorry to hear that but I guess it does not help you to hear that. If you aren’t in contact with us already I strongly recommend doing so, hopefully we can change your mind regarding continuing to use the TigerMoth. Even if you won’t, we still want to make sure that it is in tip-top shape if you decide to pass it on.

Jeffery: Glad you like it, and that you feel better when sleeping in your Cricket, not only do you get to go camping, you even get health benefits from it, how awesome is that? 🙂

Markus

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  MarkusLH.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  MarkusLH.
    Eagle05
    Participant

Markus,
    I’ve already let the dealership and Taxa know about the leak. I’m pretty frustrated with it, but at this point I have no reason to doubt it will work out. Assuming that gets resolved easily enough, I’ll be camping the Tigermoth for quite some time. It really is a great set up.

By other projects I was referring to adding a second battery and solar, modifying the passenger side under seat storage to allow longer items to be stored (or even slid under the bench without lifting the lid), tracking down the elusive door screens, modifying the rear awning so it sits lower to clear my carport easier, and the previously mentioned brakes and tongue modifications. I’m also considering hanging the solar shower under the roof rack bars to lower the profile a few inches.

I also like the bed and sleep well on it. We bought the trailer to haul gear and be an escape pod in bad weather as we have an Ursa Minor pop top on our Wrangler to sleep in. We haven’t used that lately because we’ve been enjoying the Tigermoth so much.

Forum related, an edit option for posts would be nice as I realized too late my autocorrect got the better of me in my previous posting.

MarkusLH
    Keymaster

Hi Eagle05!

So glad to hear that, you had me worried there! 🙂 Also very cool to see that you are making your Moth your very own with modifications, if you want, you can show other people what are making in the Modifications part of the Forum.

To edit your posts there is an “Edit”-button/link in the top right corner of every post you make that allows you to do just that.

Happy camping!
    Markus

Eagle05
      Participant

Perhaps the edit function doesn’t show up on mobile devices. I’m not seeing anything except the reply button and post #.

**Edit: I stand corrected. The edit option just showed up after I posted that reply. I know some forums have minimum posting requirements for new users. Maybe that is to blame.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Eagle05. Reason: Edit button makes an appearance
    Alan Caywood
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. I didn’t intend for this to turn into a thread of complaints. I was just hoping to share some of my experiences. Over the last year I am more than happy with our Moth. I’m looking forward to sharing some of the modifications (mothifications) we have made on the forum. Also, possibly some comparisons to the Offroad Benroy I spent a few months last year building with my brother. A lot of the lessons learned in building the Benroy are being put to use in working on the Moth. For example, I’m about to get rid of the front step and toolbox and weld up a double decker platform that holds my AC, solar panel, water heater/pump and serves as a ladder to reach the rooftop storage and roof rack.

MarkusLH
      Keymaster

No worries Alan, people telling us what they don’t like only makes us better 🙂

Can’t wait to see your Mothifications!

Markus

Scott Thompson
    Participant

We added brakes. It has worked out well so far.

Eagle05
      Participant

Scott,
      Did you have a shop do the work for you? Any details on it? I’ve been looking into it, but haven’t found a local place I’d trust to do the work. I may end up ordering the components and installing myself if I can figure out the best way with minimal changes to the existing axle/suspension.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.