fbpx

Matt M.

Hometown:

Erie, CO

Habitat:

Cricket

Follow on Social Media:

Tell us a little about yourself and why you own a TAXA?

I was fortunate enough to grow up camping, hiking, fishing, and pretty much all other outdoor-ing things. As I have gotten older, I think my love for those things has only grown. There is something about sitting at a desk most of the week that makes you pine for any, and as much, time outside as possible. This passion for the outdoors has now been passed along to my wife who is good enough to tolerate my constant adventure scheming.

My wife and I have two dogs. One who is getting a little older (we say he is in his retirement years) and one who likes the finer things (she really wants to be comfortable). We really wanted to find ways to extend our camping season and be able to take our dogs more often. Getting our Cricket allowed for just that. We get to more comfortably camp year round, our retirement dog gets to live out his retirement RVing (like all retirements should be lived out), and our bougie dog can go into the Cricket and nap on top of her mountain of blankets pretty much whenever she wants.

Where is your favorite place to take your TAXA? 

Our favorite spot to take our Cricket is an area not too far from Denver that is tucked into the mountains a bit and has lots of dispersed camping and some fishing nearby. I would tell you exactly where, but that would ruin it. Sorry... It is a great spot that is easy to get to, you are usually well separated from your neighbors, and so far (crosses fingers) we have been able to find choice camp spots easily.

Who do you explore with?

Most anyone who is willing to go and is up for adventure... Besides my wife and two dogs, this usually means a couple of our friends and/or my father.

What are your favorite outdoor activities?

Hiking/trail running, fishing, camping (of course) and photography have to be at the top of my list. Hiking/trail running are usually the main activity for any given outing. I then enjoy relaxing after the hike/run with some fishing before settling in at camp for the night. I almost always need to take some photos to remember it all too.

Do you have any hacks or mods that you've done to your habitat to enhance your travels?

No real mods yet. I did make a paper towel holder that can clip to the roof of the Cricket with a couple of small carabiners though.

Tell us your favorite unique habitat story.

I don't know that I have any terribly unique habitat stories yet but I will say that if you have a habitat, people will talk to you at the gas station. Everyone seems to be curious and want to know more when you have a habitat in tow.

What's one place you'd love to explore?

I would love, and hope to someday explore, the Gates of the Arctic National Park. There is something about an area that remote and that visually spectacular that I am completely drawn to.

I can't leave home without my...

I can't leave home without my camera or trail running shoes. I have been fortunate enough to see some pretty spectacular things in the wild. I am not a good enough photographer to ever give those spots justice, but I am working on getting better at it. I like to have the images to be able to share my adventures with those that aren't on them. I also love to capture my family, friends, and dogs in these places so they have something to remember them with too. And the trail running shoes? Well you just need good shoes to take you to all the places, whether they are 50' from camp or 50 miles from camp.