fbpx

Kirk A.

Hometown:

Castle Pines, CO

Habitat:

Cricket

Follow on Social Media:

Tell us a little about yourself and why you own a TAXA?

Hi there, my name is Kirk - my wife Lindsay and I are avid campers who enjoy getting up to the Colorado High Country as often as possible. We've tent camped and backpacked all of our life with our families and then together, but in 2017 we welcomed a little addition to our family and our "needs" changed. We still got out to camp with him, but setting up a tent and all the other logistics that come with that were complicated with a little one at the campsite. Not that we couldn't have continued on that path, but we desired a little more comfort, which we figured would also free up more time to make memories as a family.

We had always had our eye on a teardrop or popup of some sort, and had admired the TAXA Cricket from the early days of when it was showcased in the REI flagship store in Denver. After doing a lot of research into other brands and various options, we decided that the Cricket was a great fit for us and our growing family. Besides the functional and thoughtful design, we appreciated the build quality, the manageable tow weight, the company ethos and the fact that it would fit into our residential garage.

The Cricket is the perfect solution for us to be ready to go camping at a moments notice, quickly get setup when we get to our site and be comfortable while there. We are expecting a daughter later this year, and are excited to be able to grow into the Cricket with its two kids berths and other family-friendly amenities.

Where is your favorite place to take your TAXA? 

Being natives of Colorado, we are biased to all the natural beauty our great state has to offer, of course! We love being able to pack some clothes and some food, hitch up the Cricket and be up to the Colorado mountains in a couple hours. We have some favorite spots that we love to go, but are always exploring new roads and finding hidden dispersed camping gems.

Who do you explore with?

Mostly, it's the three of us who head out in the Cricket, but quite often we meet up with other family members or friends / neighbors who share our love of the outdoors.

What are your favorite outdoor activities?

We love all the usual suspects: hiking, biking (both road and MTB), canoeing on a lake, sitting next to a mountain stream, etc. On other "lazy " days at campsites, I also enjoy photographing the beauty of the outdoors, throwing a frisbee or flying a kite on a breezy day.

Do you have any hacks or mods that you've done to your habitat to enhance your travels?

We've done a couple, and have plans for more. So far, we've done the following:

- mounted a Warn 2000 Winch to the tongue for easy garage parking
- added 9V electrical socket and relocated the Dometic fridge onto a drawer slide under front counter
- added a portable 240W Zamp Solar setup
- added custom cut, 4 inch memory foam mattress in place of TAXA cushions
- added wall-mounted wire baskets above counter for extra food (or booze) storage
- upgraded to the 2020 Tepui roof-mounted awning option

What's one place you'd love to explore?

We had a trip planned last year to Banff, Canada but unfortunately had to postpone. We are anxious to get the Cricket up north of the border to see all Canada has to offer.

I can't leave home without my...

Besides my lovely family? Coffee, English biscuits, a hammock and a camera.